Red itchy bumps appeared all over the body. Diagnosed with urticaria. What is causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
dr. my daughter is 10 years old. Yesterday suddenly red eruptions appeared in her whole upper body with severe itching. Local doctor said it is Urticaria. They given injection of AVIL + DECON 1 ml each. Her eruptions disappeared. Should I go for any further medication? How can I know the root cause of this eruptions? We are in the valley of srinagar. Can change of weather be the reason of this ?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

The fact that she improved with the treatment makes the diagnosis to be correct- urticaria. It is very reassuring to know that she has completely recovered.

Common reasons for urticaria include allergy to dust or pollen grains (from flowers), certain foods, etc.

However, it may be difficult at times to find out the exact reason for the same.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Red itchy bumps appeared all over the body. Diagnosed with urticaria. What is causing this? 10 hours later
Should I go for some anti allergic medicines to prevent further attack of Urticaria ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
As this is the first episode and her skin lesions have totally subsided, no medications may be given now.
However, if she develops them again, a course of cetrizine or levocetrizine may be required.
I hope it clarifies.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM