Red ingrown hair appeared on pubic area. Pus and blood comes after squeezing. STD?

Jul 2012

I have a couple of red "in-grown hair" looking bumps on my pubic area (between my waist line and my penis. Not on my penis. They are painless and not sensitive at all. When I squeeze them they pop like a pimple and blood comes out. Please help! Is this an std?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 6 hours later
Hi there.
From your description, it does not appear to be an STD.
However to be objective, your history needs some inputs as to your sexual history preceding the onset of these lesions & the time duration following the sexual act/contact & the appearance of these lesions & the presence of said same lesions on your partner/s as the case may be.
However, from all you say, is it possible that you occasionally shave the region or wear tight undergarments that may have caused friction in this area?
My clinical hunch tells me that these are most likely 'pseudofolliculitis' that arise due to short stubby broken ingrown hair that may have got secondarily infected & spread to contiguous hair follicles.
A short course of a systemic antibiotic together with a combination cream of a hydrocortisone & fucidin applied twice/daily locally may just allievate the symptoms in 2-3 days XXXXXXX
Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Follow-up: Red ingrown hair appeared on pubic area. Pus and blood comes after squeezing. STD? 38 minutes later
I was diagnosed by a dermatologist 4 years ago with mulluscom on that part of my body. After 2 years it seemed to have gone away. I think this may be that condition recurring. Initially i ruled it out because my doctor said it may take a year or two to go away....not four! Lately I've read that it can take up to 5 years to go away but it does eventually go away. I have an active sex life but always use condoms, always. I am sexually active with 2 women. I've never brought it up with either of them and neither of them have brought it up with me so I assume I'm not giving it to anyone.
If I discover one of these bumps on my body I sease all sexual activity. I sterily pop the bump, treat it with antibiotic and cover it with a bandaid. In a few days it's gone. And whether it's a month, 2 months or 3 comes back.
Is this ever going to go away????
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.
Now we have a clearer picture tahnks.
Yes if it is a molluscum contagiosum infection it may very well be transmitted to either or both women & it could be a ping-pong effect.
Alternatively, you could live with the glass half -full & assume that since no one has complained, all is well.
However, when this next occurs, my suggestion will be to go to a dermatologist then, inspect the area thoroughly & have them all taken out at one sitting with a touch of phenol or Tricloroacetic acid applied to the base after the 'seed' is 'popped' using your terminology. In this way, you stand the best chance of preventing recurrences.
Trust this will have answered your query & all will be well soon. Glad to note you use protection always!
Cheers & do enjoy the Easter weekend!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD