Red, inflamed, swollen scrotum. Had a prostrate surgery. How to get relief?

Question
I have been incontinent for a week and a half since having the catheter removed after prostate surgery. Now my scotum is inflamed and very red and the scotum is sligltly swolle. What can I do to treat this situation
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

After a prostate surgery, you may notice scrotal or penile swelling any time from immediately after surgery to five days later. However since it has been close to 10 days after surgery and you are having scrotal swelling as well as redness on scrotum, any infection of the surgical area which is spreading to scrotum has to be kept in mind.

You might try elevating your scrotum on a small rolled up towel when you are sitting or lying down to reduce swelling.

Also, applying cold compresses and wearing supportive underwear (briefs, not boxer shorts) is advisable. However if the redness and swelling persists then you may need to get oral antibiotics prescribed for which you have to consult your surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Red, inflamed, swollen scrotum. Had a prostrate surgery. How to get relief? 4 hours later
Will it do any good to use diaper rash medications like desitin and see what happens

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If the symptoms are due to any suspected infection of the scrotal sacs then symptoms are not going to decrease with application of Diaper rash cream which is more useful for a skin infection.

You should get oral antibiotics and antiinflammatory drugs for the scrotal swelling.