Red, inflamed, burning labia majora, burning sensation before and after urination. Done STD tests. What could be the reason?

Excellent

Question
I have red inflammed and burning of the labia majora!! Also have burning before urination and after but not during. Cleared of all std numerous times and urine has been sent off nothing grew. so I don't think it's that. At times the vaginal area is full of heat and the vaginal opening burna bad? The burning or prickling raw feeling of the Labia majora is felt when I set down or my underwear rubs don't really feel it standing up? Also get like a heat or warming affect in pubic hair area when I get the urge to urinate and the urine as it comes out is hotter than normal. Also notice my labia majora gets red after urinating? What could this be I am at my wits end!
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 49 minutes later

Based on the description provided by you, I would suspect Contact Vulvitis being the condition here.The exact cause of this condition is hard to find as one brief stimulation by the allergen is enough to set inflammation for days.Allergens could be undergarments made of synthetic material, soaps, detergents, deodorants, medications etc..

The increased temperature around vulval area is due to the inflammation caused by the allergic reaction triggered by the allergen.The urine being sensed hotter is due to increased sensitivity in the vulval area due to the inflammation.Also the salts in the urine will irritate the labia and lead to increase inflammation and redness.

Symptoms can be controlled by antihistamines like Tab Benadryl 25mg taken one in night after food for 5 days , by application of steroid ointments like Clobetasol propionate (Dermolâ„¢ Cream/Ointment ) over the affected area twice daily.Using cotton under wears and bland soap.Also attempts at identifying and avoiding the offending allergen is essential.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Red, inflamed, burning labia majora, burning sensation before and after urination. Done STD tests. What could be the reason? 6 hours later
Thank you so much. But the burning is in the labia majora not the labia minora? My main concern is a non candidias skin yeast infection or herpes although i never had any blisters I did have some cracking of the skin prior months that bled but was also treated for bacterial vaginosis, unsure if those cracks were connected to the bacteria infection as they healed easily in a day or two with use of hydrocotisone or neosporin. I've noticed that if I use non scented baby wipes verses toilet paper the burning of the urethra stops but this is a very recent discovery. So would it be safe to say the culprit is toilet paper? I also notice that the urine looks like yellow XXXXXXX why would that be? Another worry is itersticial cystitis as I do have urgency but I guess that could also be due to the inflammation of the urethra making it feel that way? I'm sorry to bombard you I have just really been depressed about this can't eat,sleep, and have a hard time functioning at work. Oh one more thing this may be far fetched but what about city water verses spring water? I have used spring water for the last 10 years and now have city water could that be a possibility? Thank you so much for your time

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

I am happy to answer your doubts .I am here to help you.

Yes, I did consider that the problem is in the labia majora and came with above explanation.

I would not consider the bacteria or fungi being the culprit here as they would produce evident lesions which make the diagnosis obvious.

Yes, toilet paper or the city water could be a allergen here as they undergo chemical treatment during their processing.

The yellows urine is not related to the problem you have. Conditions like starvation, decreased water consumption, fever medications etc can produce dark yellow urine.

Interstitial cystitis will present with severe pain in lower abdomen soon after urination also there would be severe grade fever with chills.Hence, I do not consider it being the problem in you.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Red, inflamed, burning labia majora, burning sensation before and after urination. Done STD tests. What could be the reason? 14 hours later
Ok so the reason I ask about herpes is I have been told that different people react differently? I could just have burning and the sores be in the urethra where they are not visible? Hsv1 due to oral sex is what stood in the back of my mind as I tesed negative for hsv2. What is your experience with this? So I guess maybe I should just try the baby wipes for a while and avoid toilet paper and see if my problem goes away completely? I was beginning to think I had caught something that perhaps hadn't been discovered yet. Please answer these questions and I will try to leave you alone. But you have helped me a lot and I sure do appreciate it!!!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

Its very rare HSV presenting without any lesions and also still more rare for the HSV1 to cause genital infections.HSV 2 is one which can but rarely do produce inflammation alone without lesions not HSV1. I XXXXXXX not suspect it by any chance based on the description of your problem.Its always good to rule out HSV1 by getting it tested.

Yes, do go with baby wipes.If the problems appears to reduce then the toiletpaper could be the cause.

Wishing you speedy recovery.