Red indentation on the back side of right ear. What could this be?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have this indentation on the back side of my right ear, almost like a dip where the ear kind of bends towards my head. It appears slightly red. I wear glasses but I don't think this part of the ear is touched by them. It is only on the one ear. What could this be?
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 12 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
On the basis of the information it appears that you have some allergic or infective affliction of the skin at the back of the ear. It may have some relation with your spectacle-- contact dermatitis or eczema of the skin at the back of your ear. I would like to know since when do you have this problem and has it occurred before as well.
Another possibility could be because of the affliction of the ear. I would like to know if you have symptoms like pain in ear, discharge from ear, deafness, ringing in ears, headache or a swelling behind the ear. Please tell me if you are on any medications

As your question is about the probable cause -- it could be dermatitis, infection of the mastoid(acute mastoiditis), furunculosis (infection in ear canal). More information would help me guide you better.

I suggest that you see your general physician for the same so that this can be examined and the cause can be narrowed down.

I hope this answers your concern

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Red indentation on the back side of right ear. What could this be? 24 minutes later
I do not have any of the additional symptoms you listed, such as pain, drainage or swelling. I am wondering if it could just be the way my ear is shaped in the back. The redness i thought was there just seems to be where the "bowl" shape is I am seeing my doctor next week for something else so will have it looked at then. Thanks for your answer

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
Thanks for your feedback
All I can say right now is that it is not related to a disease of ear and mastoid. The redness in your case can be attributed to either continuous irritation because of the arm of the spectacles or it could be dermatitis. But then it appears that it is not something serious. However my answer cannot rule out a physical examination which is a key to the diagnosis. It you have itching in this area, you can use a steroid preparation topically.
Changing your spectacles may be worth a try.

A picture of the area affected can help me further to give my opinion

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if anything else is required from my side

With warm regards
Ravinder Sharma