Red, flaky rashes after outside food. Why are they spreading? What medication to take?

skin rashi have little red, flaky, rashes that started to form on my stomach about a week ago after coming from a restaurant and trying something new on the menu. the rashes have progressed to my arms, legs and now my collar bone. they do not itch or hurt. i have not felt light headed or had any shortness of breath or anything. the rashes are just going everywhere. what is it? what can i take for it?
i am new to the app do you respond on here or do you need my email. here it is if you need it YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

With the description given by you, Pityriasis Rosea comes to my mind,. This is an innocuous self limiting skin rash. Application of calamine lotion twice daily for 3-4 weeks, takes care of the rash.

I would strongly recommend you to upload a picture of your rash using the "upload your reports" feature on the left hand side of the query page.

By having a look at the rash, we will be sure of the diagnosis.

Awaiting your response.
Follow-up: Red, flaky rashes after outside food. Why are they spreading? What medication to take? 19 hours later
These are the pictures of the rashes, they look like these, but some are on my stomach, back, collar bone & the back of my legs. What should I take for these? The same calamine? Would I need to take allergy medicine since it's practically all over or just use the calamine lotion should do it?
Thanks for the pic.
This is indeed P. Rosea.

Just take a three day course of azithromycin 500mg. (1 tab daily for 3 days after breakfast). This is given to take care of any clinical or sub clinical sore throat.

Take anti allergics only if you have itching in the lesions.

Calamine lotion is sufficient. If you are not able to apply it all over, just use it for the larger lesions.

The rash may spread for 15-20 days after the appearance of the first rash.

In about 6 weeks or so, the rash will subside.

Nothing to worry.

Follow-up: Red, flaky rashes after outside food. Why are they spreading? What medication to take? 10 hours later
Ok great I can get that.

So is there anything I shouldn't do? Like peel it, or be exposed to the sun, or scratch it?

Should I use the calamine once a day or twice a day?

Would Caladryl Calamine be ok to take? I went to the pharmacy to check it out and that's what it was called.

Do I use the calamine all over like a lotion, or just put it on the rashes?
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 25 hours later
Put the calamine all over twice daily. Caladryl is fine.
Keep me posted about the progress