Red flake-like pepper in stool. No family history of colon cancer. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I noticed few red flake like pepper in my stool. After picking it up. It was orange - red in color. Should I be worried. I had a fisher a month ago. I don't have family history of colon cancer what could it be.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later

The red flake like substances that you noticed in your stool are most likely related to some food stuff that you consumed in last 2-3 days. It is not suggestive of colon cancer. There is nothing to worry.

If this is a one time symptom, then you may as well ignore it. Doing an occult blood test (OCT) will help in ruling out any intestinal parasites.

In case such an episode repeats then you need to consult your physician for stool examination and other relevant investigations.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Red flake-like pepper in stool. No family history of colon cancer. Should I be worried? 30 minutes later
Well I noticed it last night and today after going to stoll however I just went again and didnt see anything So should I then ignore it

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Yes. Since you did not see anything again then most likely it was due to some food stuff ingested only. You can ignore it for now.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.