Red eye in outer corner, very dry. Using optres red eye relief. Why does it hurt so much?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
since wednesday, my left eye is red on the outer corner... it feels dry... i have no strange fluid discharge.. at times it starts tearing for a while.. i went to the chemist yesterday and i was given optres red eye relief drops but i have seen to changes.. today the lower eyelid hurts when i blink. what could be wrong with it and how can i treat it? thanks
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From your description it seems that your eye has contacted some infection- these can range from bacterial to virus infections, and can be caused by numerous different things ranging from allergies to chemicals.

The first thing you can do, regardless of the cause of your infection is avoid touching, rubbing or staring at the eye. Staring at the eye will only lead to touching and rubbing, so stay out of the mirror and avoid the temptation.
Avoid wearing make-up, including powders and base. Particles can fly through the air and irritate your eyelids even more.
Try using a cold cloth or even cucumbers twice a day.
Over-the-counter antihistamines, antibiotic and steroid eye drops can help too. Using a decongestant like optres will not help you much.
In case the symptoms are persistent, physical check up is necessary to find out the cause. You need to consult your ophthalmologist to get antibiotic and anti allergic eye drops prescribed.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.