Red dots appeared on legs. Ankles and calves are swollen and stiff. Any idea what this could be?

Dermatologist
Question
I have gotten lots of red dots appearing on my legs .... They started on my ankles around the sock are and have now seemed to spread up my leg .... Then I noticed my ankles and calves are swollen and stiff .... Leaving it sometimes sore to walk ... The rash iss not itchy or swollen but the muscle is painful from the swelling .... I'm a 24 yr old male and would be very athletic ..... Any idea what this could be....??? Apart from the above stated I feel in perfect health ...!!!!
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Are these red lesions blanchable ( do they disappear when you apply pressure on them by fingers ) ?
2) Are you over weight ?
3) Do you go to gym frequently or work out frequently ?

If you can reply me with the answers and the picture of the lesions , I would be able to suggest you better.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

However I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

There are few possibilities like it can be Schambergs disease , Henoch–Schönlein purpura or stasis dermatitis .

In Schambergs disease the lesions are usually red or brown small dots spread around the ankles. They are asymptomatic and are benign in nature .One doesn't require any treatment for that & it is due to breakage of small blood capillaries due to constant body weight.

In Henoch–Schönlein purpura (HSP) ,one gets small red colored pupura or dots (non blanchable) over lower leg ,which are some times associated with fever or stomach ache .Its a form of vasculitis and needs prompt treatment.

In stasis dermatitis ,one gets itchy skin lesions around the ankles which can be red and scaly.This can be treated with topical steroid creams.

I would advice you to consult a competent dermatologist for proper diagnosis and management.But I can advise you further if you can reply me with the answers and the picture of the lesion.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Red dots appeared on legs. Ankles and calves are swollen and stiff. Any idea what this could be? 23 hours later
No the red dots do not disappear when pressure is applied to them. I would be quite an athletic person and of slim build. Not overweight.

I would be very active usually. Right now the bulk of the rash has cleared but fresh dots are appearing daily and the swelling of the calf muscles and ankles is still there ... See attached the photo of the rash.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 55 minutes later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply and picture.

The picture very clearly shows that its a purpuric rash (non blanchable) .It is most probably Henoch–Schönlein purpura .

You should consult a competent dermatologist for proper investigations and treatment.At time it is due to reduced platelet count also .Fortunately you have very few lesions .At times it spreads till buttocks also.

Many at times these lesions subside on its own ,but when extensive and when it causes pain in abdomen ,it should be treated promptly.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.