Red dots. Blood work normal. Not anxiety induced. What do the results of DNA double-stranded test mean?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I will try to make this short and sweet. Since October of last year I had little red dots on me that didnt blanch. I was nervous after what i read about petechiae so I went to the er and was told it was a rash if it doesn't go away to come back. It did not go away so I went back and they ran blood tests everything was normal, they did a basic draw up cbc,wbc so forth. ( i had 3 blood counts tested by 3 diff docs all were normal ranges)

After a while of still having these I went to my primary who was not concerned and I went to a derm. My derm said they do look like blood vessels but my situation is weird BECAUSE these dots go away within three days and if i scratch them they go away. She gave me a slip for an XXXXXXX my titer was 1:40 I was told this was nothing of concern. My primary to rest my mind did a huge amount of blood work. They took 5 vials of blood and tested for dna double stranded, RF factor, sm Ab IgG, Scl 70Ab igG and a bunch of other stuff. All of my blood came out normal- my doctor said im healthy and not to worry.

I am worried though. At this point if it is something just find it already because Im going crazy. This October will be a year that Ive been having these and i have no other symptoms other then this stupid anxiety its causing me ( no these are not stressed induced) My blood work indicates nothing so im left to worry and people are starting to think im a hypochondriac. What if it is something and the doctors are missing it?

im a little confused with the DNA double stranded test. The lab who ran my work has <30.0
( negative) my reading was a <12. 3 (negative) does this mean i have some of the antibodies in me?? and does everyone have dna double stranded antibodies in their blood. im worried now because it wasnt a 0 it was 12.3 so i must have this presently in my blood right, dont you not want these at all?

thank you for your time..XXXXXXX 25 female
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 10 hours later
Hello ,
I understand your concern and appreciate your efforts as a health conscious individual.
Usually our body or immune system produces certain proteins ( antibodies ) to attack any foreign antigens (virus, bacterial etc)like in case of infection.
When in certain illness the body produces antibodies against self antigen which are harmful to self its called autoantibodies, in autoimmune diseases like for example systemic lupus
The anti double stranded dna antibodies are autoimmune antibodies i.e antibodies which are produced against the self dna , which is usually found in SLE or other autoimmune illness.It, is rarely found in healthy people .Its not impossible for a normal person to have these antibodies but its very rare.
Also there are various laboratory techniques for their detection and each has its limitation,
depending on which the lab sets its criteria for normal range.
When the test indicates presence of anti dsdna in the blood sample it's repeated with serial dilutions of the same until the test becomes negative.Thus a titre of 1:12.3 means that at this dilution your sample didn't show any antibodies .This titre is very low and hence reported as good as normal or negative.
Now considering your entire clinical history and reports following conclusion can be drawn.
1.You are suffering from a mild petechial rash which could most probably due to a subclinical lupus or any viral or drug induced illness.Since all your investigations are within normal limits the exact diagnosis would be very difficult to confirm.
2.Since it is mild and short lasting, symptomatic treatment with oral medications would hardly be needed at present weighing the risk benefit ratio.
3.It is advisable to consult a rheumatologist or a specialist in autoimmune diseases for a second opinion and further follow up.
4.The tests may be repeated after three to six month interval to watch for rising titres and if needed clinical correlation should be done to either confirm the diagnosis or term you as absolutely healthy.
Meanwhile you should avoid sun exposure, lead a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and regular exercise schedule.
Please do not stress yourself and no, you are not a hypochondriac.
Believe yourself to be a vigilant health conscious individual and develop a positive attitude towards life.
As of now these lesions don't seem worrisome at all.
Hope I have answered your queries..