Red dot on inner thigh, itchy, grew into open sore, no blood or discharge. Detergent or clothes?

I'm a 22 year old female, 5'10 and 230 lbs, a couple of days ago a small red dot appeared on my upper inner thigh, it was itchy and I thought it was a bug bite since i was camping but it opened and grew into an open sore about the size of my thumb, then I developed another a few inches further and now another seems to be starting on the other thigh. they open quickly, no blood or discharge, only sore and mildly itchy... could it be a new detergent? my clothes?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi dear,

Thanks for writing in.

The lesion you are describing appears to be insect bite.

It can start with red dot and spread peripherally.

Also it can be allergic contact dermatitis.

you need to take an analgesic anti inflammatory drug like paracetamol and ibuprofen. These will take care of pain and fever.

Also tab zyrtec will be helpful to relieve itching.

Also you can apply topical antibiotic like mupirocin over the affected area.It will take care infection in sore you got.
Calamine lotion is a cooling and soothing lotion will help in reducing itching, burning.

There is nothing to be worried about.

Photos of the affected part will be helpful in giving a specific advise.

Please upload images to help you better.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Red dot on inner thigh, itchy, grew into open sore, no blood or discharge. Detergent or clothes? 10 hours later
Thank you but I'm still concerned, 2 more just appeared and opened, and I'm no longer outdoors. I've never had marks like these. I've been using bag balm to try to get them to heal but they still look terrible, I have about five fairly large open sores on the upper inner area of my thighs. I have no history of any allergies neither does anyone in my family.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi Again,

Please upload your images of affected area.
You can upload them by using UPLOAD IMAGES section on right side of the box.

Also follow the advise given previously.

Apply calamine lotion and mupirocin ointment over the area.

Both are available over the counter.

Hope this helps.