Red diaper rash appeared on rectal area. How to treat this?

Feb 2013

Hello my son has a raised red diaper rash on one side of his rectal area with what seems to be red bumps with tiny white centers to them. How can I treat this without taking him to the dr? It doesn't seem to be bothering him.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Diaper rash can be managed at home by the following measures at home :

1. After passing stool clean the area with lukewarm water, wipe it gently without
rubbing but by just touching the area with a soft, clean towel.

2. Allow the area to get dry.

3. Change the diapers frequently.

4. Try to avoid wearing diapers at home.

5. You can apply a diaper rash cream which is available over the counter in the
rash area twice or thrice daily.

If the rash is progressing or not subsided within 48 hours of the above measures, consult your Pediatrician for the examination of diaper rash and its specific treatment.

Some times the red bumps with tiny white centers with a diaper rash may not respond to topical zinc-oxide containing creams and they may be due to fungal like yeast (candida) infection which requires local application of antifungal creams which can be used after the doctor prescription.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.