Ask a Urologist   »  

Red circle on glans, not STD. Treatable?

Hi, I have a red circle about 5mm wide right on top of my glans. It doesn't hurt or burn, I've never had sex so it can't be a std, it just looks weird. I was wondering what is the cause and if it's treatable. thank you
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As the lesion is asymptomatic and you never had an exposure (sex). This could probably be due to a condition called "Fixed Drug Eruption"

Fixed drug eruption (FDE) is an adverse cutaneous reaction to an ingested drug.

Genital skin is most commonly involved site. These lesions are usually asymptomatic.

Occur from 30 minutes to 8 hours after ingestion of drug in previously sensitized individual. Lesions persist if drug is continued.

Initially erythema, then dusky red to violaceous, later become edematous, forming a plaque, which may evolve to become a bulla and then an erosion (which maybe painful). After healing, they turn dark brown with violet hue postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Diagnosis is made on clinical grounds. Readministration of the drug confirms diagnosis but should be avoided.

Treatment and possible recurrence:
1. Identify and withhold the offending drug.
2. FDE resolves within a few weeks of withdrawing the drug.
3. Recurs within hours after ingestion of a single dose of the drug.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.