Red chunks in stool, fissure, had E coli, blood in stool, colonoscopy normal, diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos type 3

I had Ecoli back in February and suffered from blood in my stools since this, I have had a colonoscopy which was clear, however I have a small fissure there which is causing some intermittent bleeding. I have noticed some bright red chunks in my stool recently that on examination look like bits of undigested tomato which I have eaten. Is it possible the red chunks are bits of tomato?
I have been told I have Ehlers Danlos type 3 (hypermobility) which is not associated with bleeding but other types can effect your blood vessels, so i wasnt sure if this is a contributing factor or if I should be concerned.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri 20 hours later
Hi May,

Thank you for posting your query.

Your anal fissure may be troubling you on from time to time. I hope what appears as undigested tomato is not blood. It may be prudent to get a stool test done for occult blood should there be any doubt, and if positive, a check-up bya proctologist may help, especially since you have the ED syndrome.

E Coli dysentery, once healed, should not be a cause of trouble, but an anal fissure, often aggravated by a bout of intestinal infection, can often drag on. Avoiding constipation by taking an adequate dose of fiber, keeping the stools soft, and avoiding straining, helps.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri.
HOD in Gastroenterology.
Follow-up: Red chunks in stool, fissure, had E coli, blood in stool, colonoscopy normal, diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos type 3 24 minutes later
thank you. is it possible to see undigested tomato in stool?
Answered by Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks again,

The tomato skin some time may remain undigested, especially if there is intestinal hurry. The pulp usually is not left undigested.

Hence, it might be worthwhile checking whether what appears to be undigested tomato is not altered blood.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Best Regards
Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri