Red cell distribution width 16.6, mu mean platelet volume is 12. Is it dangerous? Any treatment?

Oncologist
Question
sir
my red cell distribution width is 16.6 and mu mean platelet volume is 12.o is it dangarus
plz intmate the treatment and necessary guidlines to reduce these two
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thanks for submitting your query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding your test result.

The RDW is the average measure of the pits of the red blood cells in your bloodstream. yours is slightly elevated. With a normal hemoglobin this is really not anything to worry about. what you might consider doing would be taking iron supplementation in the form of a multivitamin with iron once per day. In addition if you drink any alcohol this would be something you would want to discontinue for the next several months.

I want to make sure that you understand that the laboratory results including the RDW do not show any active signs of any disease process. Nothing is worrisome in my opinion.

The mean platelet volume in your case is also slightly elevated. This is not uncommon. These test results again do not indicate any worrisome disease process. Again alcohol me some times contribute to this type of finding. If you do drink any amount of alcohol I would advise that you discontinue it if you are concerned.

Your test results do not indicate that there is any active disease or popping your bone marrow. I want to make sure you are aware of that.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Red cell distribution width 16.6, mu mean platelet volume is 12. Is it dangerous? Any treatment? 21 hours later
shell i go for colonescopy or endoscopy or lft/kft

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

I do not see any indication for colonoscopy or an endoscopy at this time. There is not any need for these diagnostic tests. You will need a screening colonoscopy when you turn 50 years old however.

It would not be a bad idea to get a baseline liver function screen at this time. You can ask your doctor for that. Otherwise I see no need for any additional investigations.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my responses to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you also.

Sincerely,

Dr Robert