Red bumps with bruises on legs. Should I be worried?

Hello, I have red bumps on my thing and also a Custer of about 7 bruises with the bumps. My leg feels numb and aches, should I be worried? Its been like this for about 2 days
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 47 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your questions.

Please answer the following questions:
1. When exactly did this start?
2. Are you sexually active?
3. Do the bumps look like blisters?
4. Do you have a fever, chills or body aches?

Thank you.
Follow-up: Red bumps with bruises on legs. Should I be worried? 9 hours later
The red bumps started to about a week ago, they look like mosquito bites but are not itchy at all and are spreading looking more like a rash now.

Yes I am sexually active.

The bumps dont look like blisters at all. They are sore to touch though (not itchy) and the bruises surround it.

No fever but my leg is really aching.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
I am sorry to need more clarification, but are these bumps within the vaginal area? Where are they in relation to where urine comes out? Are they on both sides of the midline?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Red bumps with bruises on legs. Should I be worried? 10 minutes later
They are on my left leg, this is not in the vaginal region at all. The bumps and bruises continue up and down my thigh and almost look like chicken pox.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Thank you for the followup clarification. In your original question, you stated " I have red bumps on my thing.." so I thought you were talking about the genital area.

Based on the bumps and underlying buising, what you are describing sounds like something called "petechiae" with underlying "ecchymoses" or bruising. This can be associated with a change in a blood cell called "platelets". The workup (including having someone take a look at it to confirm that what I am saying is correct) would include a review of:
1. Recent new drugs or medications
2. Recent infection
3. Lab work that would include a full blood count, or CBC
4. A review of whether there is a family history of bleeding or blood disorders
5. Recent vaccine administration
6. A pregnancy test

The causes are quite extensive. I would recommend getting in to be seen by your doctor in the morning at the latest. If the symptoms seem to be getting worse over the course of the 2-3 days, then you need to be seen sooner.

I hope that this helps and sorry for the confusion!!