Red bumps on arms, warm to touch. Taken Benedryl. Now sore muscles. Related?

Three days ago, I thought I might have hives...the skin on my arms and torso became reddened and bumpy and very warm to the touch, My hands and feet are cool to cold. The warm places are also prickly and itchy, especially in the night. I've been treating with Benedryl and cool baths and have had little improvement. I've been over everything I can think of that might have caused the reaction, and I have no clear idea of what it could be. Last night and today, the muscles in my arms are very sore...not sure if this is related. I'm 54, in good overall health, well controlled hypertension is my only ongoing issue. I take Benazepril (20mg)and Amlodipine (5mg) daily, no other meds. I'm uninsured and reluctant to go to a doctor if this is just hives that will eventually resolve on their own. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later

I am sorry to hear your problem. I am sure you are suffering from urticaria or hives and you are taking right medication. I advise you to carry on same medication.

Urticarial reaction can last for a few days and usually resolve without many problems. Drink plenty of fluids, monitor the amount of urine passed, and watch out for breathing disturbance.

I totally agree with the treatment of your hypertension. Please try to maintain that.

Hope this answer is informative and assuring. Let me know if you have other enquiries.