Red bumps developed after shaving crease of thigh. What is wrong?

After shaving the creases of my thighs about a day later I got red bumps like 8 of the. Going up the crease, If I try to break blood come out. Any help would be great.

Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 7 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It appears that you have developed a folliculitis, i.e. an inflamation of the underlying hair follicles in that area. I would suggest you the following:

- Firstly, never pinch or break the eruptions, as it can result in superimposed infection
- Secondly, gently wash the area with soap or a mild- antiseptic solution frequently
- Keep the area dry and free of sweat as far as possible
- You can apply a topical antiseptic cream over the eruptions
- You can take a mild anti-inflamatory / analgesic medication for the inflamation / pain.

This is not a very uncommon or a serious problem and should subside gradually withing the next few days. It's better to check your blood sugars once, since high sugars may make a person more prone for developing infections.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar