Red bumps appeared on scrotum and penis shaft. What could be causing this?

I have recent reddish bumps on my scrotum' and three on the shaft of my penis near the scrotum. They do not itch but are painfull. The skin of the scrotum is red and irritated.....feels like its burnt or chaffed. I am married and only have sex with my wife. The last time we had sex was 2 weeks prior to noticing these bumps.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

Although from your history it seems highly unlikely for you to have a sexually transmitted disease, it is always best to get yourself tested for all sexually transmitted diseases.

A more likely diagnosis would be balanitis of the penis caused by a fungal infection (eg. candida). The treatment for this is simple and includes the application of an anti-fungal cream on the effected area. This also requires examination by a doctor to confirm the diagnosis.

In the meantime you could:
-Have regular baths (2-3 times a day)
-Keep the area warm (if you live in a cold place)
-Avoid sexual contact with your partner
-Ask your wife if she has been experiencing any symptoms of concern (as she could also have it, requiring treatment)

I hope I have provided you with the information you were looking for. Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to answer them.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Red bumps appeared on scrotum and penis shaft. What could be causing this? 7 hours later

I apprecitate your input but you may be barking up the wrong tree on this. Can I post pics of what Im talking about? I have no red marks on my penis. The bumps/sores are only on my scrotum and only in a patchy area.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later

Sure, you can send me the pictures on the following email addresses:

Please XXXXXXX the subject as 'ATTN: Dr. Shoaib Khan'

I shall have a look at the images and we shall take it from there. It would be better to comment further after seeing the lesions.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Red bumps appeared on scrotum and penis shaft. What could be causing this? 51 minutes later
Doc' pics are on the way. I appreciate your help and expertise.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later

I have gone through your images my friend. It does look more like a bacterial or fungal infection to me, although in all cases a laboratory examination (swab sample taken from the open sore) is used to make a diagnosis. Herpes or syphilis does seem unlikely.

I request you to visit a doctor to get a laboratory test, that would help make a diagnosis and immediately initiate your therapy. An early diagnosis will help prevent an aggravated condition. Also, please take your wife to a doctor as well to rule out an infection.

Feel free to write back to me with any further clarifications XXXXXXX I shall gladly answer them for you.

Best wishes.