Red bumps appeared on back. Itchy. Applied benadryl cream. No improvement. Suggest the right medication?

Dermatologist
Question
Red bumps appeared suddenly on back. Its a little itchy. I tried putting some benadryl cream on it thinking it might be an allergy for something, but no improvement yet. This started yesterday.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 33 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic
Is there any pain or burning sensation over the rash ?
For two days the rash has been over the same site ?
Is it enlarging in size ?

I can see a large bump (plaque) studded with smaller bumps (papules) and it is in a segment along the distribution of one nerve. I am thinking of shingles or herpes zoster as a possibility. It could also be insect bite reaction ( bed bugs) if predominantly itchy. Insect bite allergy will be very itchy, you have mentioned it as a little itchy. I strongly think of possibility of shingles because of the distribution. Did you suffer from chicken pox when you were younger ?

Please upload a few more pictures of the rash.
Waiting to hear from you.

Follow-up: Red bumps appeared on back. Itchy. Applied benadryl cream. No improvement. Suggest the right medication? 35 minutes later
Thank you for the prompt answer. There is a tingling sensation or light itch, but there's no pain or severe itching. I did have chicken pox when i was little. I will try to upload more pictures, although its kind of difficult as i'm at work.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 14 hours later
Welcome back.

I still think of the possibility of Herpes Zoster in view of the distribution.

I recommend you to see a dermatologist or Acyclovir 800 mg 5 times a day for seven days.

Tingling sensation and light itch is seen in herpes zoster.

Hope this helped.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Red bumps appeared on back. Itchy. Applied benadryl cream. No improvement. Suggest the right medication? 7 hours later
Thank you. I did go to see my primary care physician and its indeed Shingles.

Thank you for your help !

Eyal

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 12 minutes later
Hello Eyal,
You are welcome.
Good to know that I was of help to you.
Wish you good health.