Red bump on back, painful, did not pop when squeezed, itching when inflamed, discharged pus and blood

Dermatologist
Question
I had a red bump on my back that I assumed was a pimple but it hurt like it was directly on a nerve. My fiancé squeezed it but it did not pop. Over the next few days it grew and became extremely painful. As it became more and more inflamed it began to itch. It finally ruptured and a huge amount of puss followed by blood was released. It is now two months later and it continuously swells up, itches, and then pops when squeezed. If it's not squeezed the itching becomes almost unbearable. The skin is discolored a dark brown with a black colored "pinhole" where the ooze comes out.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can post a close up picture of the same.You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.
One I would say that it could be a infected boil or abscess. Secondly it could be a infected sebaceous cyst .Itching as you mentioned is usually because of drying and peeling of skin over it.

A course of oral antibiotic should help you in this ,which you can get it prescribed by a dermatologist.

But a picture would help me further decide better.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Red bump on back, painful, did not pop when squeezed, itching when inflamed, discharged pus and blood 22 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX chawda asked for a pic
Thank you.

Hi!,

Thank you for the picture ,

The picture does show a hole in the center from which the pus would have drained out.Probably it started as a Boil and turned in to an abscess.

I would advise you to consult a competent dermatologist or a surgeon who can initially try treating with oral antibiotic course .If this doesn't help then the pus should be drained out surgically.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.