Red bruise, back of the arm, viral fever, rheumatic fever, SLE, vasculitis, kawasaki disease

My daughter has a reddish bruise on the back of her arm that is almost perfectly round. No pain, no itch..has a creamy colored center...she has been having issues with fatigue, pale skin..has had clear bloodwork - no Lyme, no startling results from a baseline panel nor from a rheumat* spite of achy joints and low grade fevers almost every evening. She is being referred to a rheumatologist. The bruise is new and does not refer to any incident. My daughter is a fraternal twin and will be 5 years old in May 2011. She had a very brief rise in the c reactive protein level but it returned to normal 6 weeks later.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 11 hours later

It is very difficult to give the exact diagnosis without additional history and a physical examination.

But the description of the symptoms -fatigue, pale skin (anemia), low grade fevers, achy joints and a spontaneous red bruise on the arm could be due to a no of causes including viral fevers, Streptococcal ersipelas, Rheumatic Fever, SLE, Vasculitis, Kawasaki Disease, etc.

Additional history and physical examination can provide vast information and help in proper diagnosis and treatment of her symptoms.

Tests to rule out the above conditions and X-rays of the affected joints might be helpful.

Your doctor is right in referring your daughter for consultation with a rheumatologist for proper treatment. They can give the standard amount of care to her after feeling her.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up questions if any after your consult with Rheumat