Red blotchy skin on the lower abdomen, Chances of herpes?

What might be cause of red blotchy skin in the area extending from below the belly button to the start of the pubic area. It is not itchy.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description the most possible causes in my opinion are-
1. Erythema multiforme.
2. Dermatitis- due to skin infection, allergy,etc.
3. Dry skin- Xerosis.
4. Heat rash.
A direct examination by a dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
The patches usually take 5-7 days to disappear.
If the patches become more of purple rather than red then you must consult a dermatologist immediately.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Red blotchy skin on the lower abdomen, Chances of herpes? 1 hour later
This makes sense to me, yet I just want to clarify something further. The blotches are really more like spots (they look like freckles). Is there any way this could be an SDT? I recently had sex with a woman who has herpes although she has never had an outbreak after her initial exposure 10 years ago. Could these freckles that I now have which are appearing in the region between my belly botton and lower pubic area (almost touching my penis) in any way be reflective of herpes?

Thanks for writing again.

Your symptoms does not suggest something like a STD( Sexually Transmitted Disease ). So the probability is mostly ruled out.

Such widespread rashes are not likely to be due to Herpes and is not reflective of this either.

You can take the general measures and apply the ointment twice daily. If there is no improvement then you can consult your dermatologist for further treatment.

Wishing you an early recovery.