Ask a Urologist   »  

Red blisters on scrotum, swollen. Used fungicide, selsun blue. Diagnosed as jock itch. Treatment?

Tiny red blisters, not much bigger than a pin head, appear on my scrotum and at the same time the veins in the affected area appear raised and swollen. Left untreated they can cause blood spots on my underwear. The problem is worse in the warmer months and i have used a fungicide topicall after having the problem diagnosed as jock itch. My physician didn't look carefully at all and i assumed he knew what he was talking about.
In the cooler weather the problem is less pronounced, and the little blisters are sometimes not present. I wash the area with selsun blue (selenium sulfide?) shampoo each time i take my daily bath or shower. There is an odor that builds over a 24 hour period. If i delay bathing even by a few hours, the odor can become quite overwhelming and detectable by persons near by.
There is a burning / pinprick like sensation felt from time to time. I also sometimes have the urge to itch. The affected area is mainly the right underside of the scrotal sac. I have seen blood vessel swelling / darkening in other area but mostly it is concentrated in the area described.
I first noticed this problem about a year ago and hav
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 8 hours later
Thanks for your query

Your condition appears to be fungal infection affecting the scrotum and is usually worse in moist and warm conditions.
If the area is itchy you may develop red spots due to constant scratching.
I advise you to keep the area clean and dry, use cotton underclothing and wear loose trousers instead of jeans.
You will benefit with local application of a anti-fungal/steroid cream and can consult your local urologist for the same.
If the dermatitis becomes severe, you may need a dermatology consultation.

I hope i have answered your query.
I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries that you may have.

Dr Vineet Malhotra