Red blister appeared on scrotum after unprotected sex. Do I have herpes?

Question
Over the last two weeks I have been having sex with 2 different partners. On friday I had sex with a girl I just met and the condom broke. Today I noticed a huge blister on my scrotum, maybe and inch underneath the shaft. It is a single big red blister. I squeezed it and a white fluid came out. Do I have herpes? What is going on?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Given the recent contact with a new partner, and the appearance of a red blister with clear fluid, this most certainly sounds like it might be herpes. This can easily be discerned on an exam with a doctor. In fact, if there is still fluid being produced from the blister itself, this can be cultured for herpes. Finally, there would still be time to treat it during the current outbreak to shorten its course.

So the best thing is to go get this checked out. Herpes is the most likely cause given the events and what you are describing.

I hope that this helps and please ask if you have any additional questions.

Follow-up: Red blister appeared on scrotum after unprotected sex. Do I have herpes? 4 hours later
is there anyway it could be something else? The fluid is not clear but white, and there is one big sore. I am trying to find the right kinda doctor to go to today

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Is it painful? What does the skin around the blister look like? Is it reddened?

Follow-up: Red blister appeared on scrotum after unprotected sex. Do I have herpes? 4 minutes later
It subsided it bit since I noticed it yesterday. It is hard, doesnt hurt, unless I pour rubbing alcohol on it. The skin around the blister is same color as rest of scrotum and now the blister itself is turning back to normal color. Yesterday it was plainly visible now it is kinda harder to see. I have an appointment with a urologist in couple hours and I am very worried

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 36 minutes later
Based on the fact that it is not painful would argue against this being herpes. But the important would be to make sure that they culture the fluid within the blister and send it to check for herpes.

I am glad that you have an appointment. This is clearly the right decision, and you should have a good idea of what is going on. A Urologist is exactly who you should see!

Good luck!

Follow-up: Red blister appeared on scrotum after unprotected sex. Do I have herpes? 2 hours later
I just came back from the urologist. He said that since I drained it he couldnt test the fluid inside. He said it was a cyst though and I have nothing to worry about. Just in case I gave blood and urine for full std testing. Hopefully nothing comes out of this and the blister goes away soon. Thanks for your help XXXXXXX

You are very welcome. If they thought that this was herpes, they would have been able to tell that on exam. If it recurs, though, make sure you get in to be seen as soon as possible so they can do the culture.

Good luck!