Red and swollen foot with bruise. Could it be thrombosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I flew from uk to Spain on Friday on Sunday I came down with flu like symbols an d have spent the last 2 days in bed. My left foot which has poor circulation and nerve damage due to a prolapsed disk has become swollen and red and hot which is unusual because it is normally cold there are bruises appearing as well. I am concerned it could be a thrombosis I am only concerned about my foot. Please get back to me as soon as possible I am very worried
My foot is getting worse and now appears to be lumpy it is 5 am here should I go to a&e or wait to see my dr tomorrow
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The swelling of the foot associated with bruise without any history of injury is likely to be due to XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. Other causes include muscle sprain due to overuse, fluid retention, infections, etc.
A direct examination and investigations like color doppler scan of the limb are necessary to find out the cause.
Do attend A&E for proper diagnosis and treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.