Red and painful breast, areola is red. Not swollen. Tiredness. Want advice.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am 51 years old and woke up this morning with a very red and painful left breast, specifically the aureola is red. It doesn't seem to be swollen just red and painful. I have no other symptoms. I am more tired than normal, but nothing concerning to me for this time of year.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Your symptoms could most likely be from a nipple eczema or an infection and less likely pagets disease a form of breast cancer.
Though the onset being sudden, and with no associated symptoms, an allergy or eczema would be most likely , but it's better to rule out the others too.
You should consult a breast surgeon for thorough examination and work up for confirmed diagnosis and apropriate treatment.If eczema confirmed it might resolve with anti histaminics and steroidal ointments as per your doctors advise.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back to me if you any doubts.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.