Recurring white ring like rash on the penis in winter. Tried Triamcinolone acetonide. Should I continue medication?

I occasionally get a dry "white ring" near the tip of my penis. This occurs more when the air is dry or winter months. I've seen a dermatologist and he gave me a prescription of Triamcinolone acetonide years back....It does not hurt in any way. I think the diagnosis was eczema. My questions:

Do the cold months (dryness) cause the formation of the eczema (white ring)?
Is it just better to use a moisturizer versus the medication.

It does go away when I use the medication but returns if I don't continue to application.

Thanks in advance,
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later

White flaky ring as explained by you can also occur as a result of fungal infection, collection of smegma- i.e. normal secretions of the glands in the area or dryness as in your case. Discuss about these possibilities with your dermatologist. Treatment could depend on the exact cause.

1.     Dryness associated flakes are common in winter months. It should subside with moisturizers and should not cause any symptoms like itching, redness etc.
2.     A fungal infection will only subside with the cream mentioned by you; but will re- appear as soon as you stop. It requires proper anti- fungal - oral as well as topical to be cured.
3.     Smegma, if present gets cleared with daily washing and cleaning.

In your case as the condition worsens during winters or comes back after stopping medication, the possibility of fungal infection needs to be considered too. A proper treatment may need to be started in such cases.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you are satisfied with my reply and if you do not have any further queries.

Dr.Rohit Batra