Recurring vaginal sore, red, swollen. Maybe due to antibiotics. Medication unhelpful.

Hello, I have a reoccuring sore on the left inside of my vagina, its inside the lip on the inner skin. It looks like a small slit, red and maybe slightly swolled, not heaps sore but I can feel it. I think it is gone but then it comes back again, been going on for a few months. I was on anibitotics which I thought caused the problem but went on medication but didn't help. THANK YOU!!!!
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 15 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand your persistent vaginal sores is of concern.
You have not mentioned the entire history and medications, period etc.
Sores generally are due to bacterial infections in reproductive age group women apart from other causes in younger girls like atopic dermatitis. (non sexually transmitted)

The sexually transmitted ones are tough to treat unless powerful antibiotics and regimen are followed. We are talking of bacteria causing infections like Chancroid, Genital herpes, Granuloma inguinale, Molluscum contagiosum, Syphilis, Genital warts etc. The cause with you can be diagnosed only with tests.

I also do not know of your blood reports, tests like biopsy, culture etc.
I would have to presume your doctor who put you on antibiotics has gone through all this routine.

Now that you have not been relieved, I would suggest you to do the above in case you have missed out on any.

Meanwhile keep the area dry and clean. Avoid sexual intercourse.
And get in touch with a gynecologist specialist soon.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.