Recurring toe rash, itchy. Taken prednisone, amoxicillin. Is it possibly an allergic reaction?

Feb 2013

My 5 year old had a head to toe rash in some spots there's weeping, went to doc and they have her prednisone and amoxicillan.. The rash went away for about 5 days and now has returned to her face and is crusted over from weeping, it itches her horribly! Should I get more prednisone?? Is this possibly a allergic reaction? Why did it come back... I am scared so things really wrong, but she acts fine
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 56 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The itchy weeping lesions may be due to an allergic rash or due to contact dermatitis.

But physical examination of the skin lesions is very important to diagnose the skin condition and the specific treatment depends on the accurate diagnosis.

Some times bacterial skin infections like impetigo and pyoderma usually present with weeping followed by crusting.

So physical examination or by examining clinical photographs of the skin lesions is important to distinguish the bacterial skin infections from allergic or contact dermatitis lesions.

So kindly upload the pictures of the skin lesions to advise you in a better way.

Prednisone is an oral steroid and it is a prescribed medication.

Therefore don't give it or increase the dose without a doctor prescription as it is associated with side effects.

For itching you can give an oral antihistamine like cetirizine or hydroxyzine in prescribed dosage after consulting your doctor.

Consult your Pediatrician for the examination of skin lesions and for the prescription of medication.

It came back due to re exposure to a particular allergen substance or contact with an infected lesion.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.