Recurring throat itching and cough. Will Azee 500mg help?

ENT Specialist
I have throat itching & cough associated with slight cold. Will Azee 500mg suit me
Also Pls note that lately this issue is recurring... almost a month back had a severe throat infection & cold and took a course of antibiotic
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the brief history provided by you, I do feel you could be suffering from recurrent upper respiratory tract infection.

During cold, the discharge for the nose trickles down into the throat from behind the nose causing irritation in the mucosa of the throat. The irritation thus induced gives rise to cough.

Do not worry! This is one of the commonest ENT problems faced by many individuals. With appropriate care and medicines this can be taken care of.

My suggestions to you are:

1. Drink plenty of warm water. Warm water increases the blood flow to the mucosa and thus reduces the congestion as well as irritation.

2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation. This helps in nasal decongestion as well as reduction of the post nasal discharge and the cough.

3. You can definitely start on azithromycin.

4. Avoid chilled/hot food & beverages and smoking (if any) till you recover.

5. Avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Recurring throat itching and cough. Will Azee 500mg help? 3 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your suggestions doctor... shall work on the same.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 minutes later

Welcome back

Wish you good luck and good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon