Recurring swollen sore testicles with lower back pain

Infertility Specialist
In the past ive been a couple of times to see my doctor with a sore testicle or more acurately swollen tubes but only on the right testicle. He told me that it was prob some trauma and to wear supportive pants and it has in the past gone away. This time its been a week and although the tubes are less swollen the area right behind and up to the testicle is swollen and tender and i dont know if its related but ive got terrible lower back ache on the same side.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of epididymitis or epididymoorchitis. This is a condition in which the epididymis (a narrow, tightly-coiled tube that connects the testis to the vas deferens) and/ or the testis is swollen due to an infection. The diagnosis can be confirmed only after an examination.
The following investigations would need to be done to confirm the diagnosis and identify the culprit organism:
a.     Urethral smear
b.     Urine culture and sensitivity

The following treatment measures would prove useful:
a.     Take adequate rest and an analgesic like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet every 4-6 hours with food.
b.     Antibiotics like cephalsporins (eg: ceftriaxone) and tetracyclines like doxycycline would also be required. However, as these are prescription drugs, I would suggest that you visit your treating physician who can evaluate you and prescribe appropriate therapy.
I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow up queries.