Recurring rashes.Cortisone creams not effective. Advise medication

On my left barthonlin's gland there was one small bump that itched very much. After a day or so, the bumps spread through out the surface of the gland. I'm 57 years old, female, extremely healthy, and an acupuncturist. I have a anti-fungal wash made of chinese herbs that soothes the area. This happens from time to time, every year, it lasts several weeks, creating frustration not knowing how to treat it. Cortisone creams do not help, the rashes just come back with a vengeance. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
A critical evaluation of these rashes is deserving especially in your case. I suggest you need a consultation with a dermatologist.
Firstly, the nature of the lesions are important to understand whether they could be infectious in origin or allergic (steroid) sensitive.
Specific tests from samples in this area like cultures and sensitivity tests could be very appropriate for an exact diagnosis and management.
Depending on the clinical evaluation, its also worth noting that in some females after menopause, dryness of the vulva could predispose to particular skin problems. Some hormonal creams might also be of help. Its not excluded that it could be a fungal infection, but clinical expertise by a specialist orients better towards the drug that might work. Considering the fact you have had this problem for quite sometime now, its just the right thing to get a definitive diagnosis.
However, my suggestion taking an appointment with your dermatologist.
Thanks and best regards, Wishing you good health.
Luchuo, MD.