Recurring rash on neck, itching, paining. Anything to worry about?

Jul 2012

I am a healthy 28 year old male with a recurring rash on my neck
It has happened twice in two weeks, the first time as a result of what I thought to be a new shirt. However, after being in the heat today it came back with the bumps in the exact same places. Photo attached. Anything to worry about? What should I do? It itches and slightly hurts. Thank you!!
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 28 hours later
Hi there. You dont seem to have anything to worry about. The rash described & its appearance on the photo provided, suggest a 'contact dermatitis'. It is probable that detergents you use to wash your clothes et al or the dyes in the shirt (as you rightly pinned down) may be responsible. Sunlight (or ultraviolet light that can also occur in the 'shade') may have aggravated the problem & as it is 'follicular oriented' it may have caused some pain & irritation. Please try & use a topical steroid-antibiotic combination cream for 2-3 days & it should clear up in 24-48 hrs! Vigilance on the allergens is key. Nothing to worry & no grand intervention is required. I do hope this answer is lucid & assuming you will be fit as a fiddle in 24 hrs, please feel free to render us a feedback & give us a shout! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore.