Recurring pelvic pain. Waiting for the ultrasound result. No fever, vomiting. Possible causes?

I've been having recurring lower right sided pelvic pain. I saw my PCP last week and went for an ultrasound. I don't have the results yet, but I've been having very sharp pain in the lower left side of my back (kidney area), sometimes its on the right side as well, but mostly the left, it comes and goes, but its been happening for a few days now. I'm wondering if both problems are related? What could be the possible causes? No other symptoms - no fever, nausea, vomiting, etc.
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 38 minutes later

What I understand from your question is that you are having sharp pain in left side back at present and at times having pain on right side also.

There could be various possible reasons for your pain.

1. Some pelvic infection-any where in pelvis
2. Stone disease-may be anywhere in the tract from kidney to urinary bladder
3. Some ovarian problem-like cyst etc.
4. Gastrointestinal tract infection.
5. Urine infection

All of these conditions can lead to this kind of pain and at times on both the sides.

I think as you already had an ultrasound, it should clinch the diagnosis in most of the cases.

In mean time please do the following:

1. Take analgesic like Tylenol for pain. You can even take anti spasmodic tablet as per advice from your doctor.
2. Take light diet and more of liquids
3. Avoid doing strenuous work.
4. Watch for red urine or vomiting.
5. Talk to your doctor in case the pain does not get relieved with the treatment given.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Recurring pelvic pain. Waiting for the ultrasound result. No fever, vomiting. Possible causes? 7 minutes later
During one of my CT scans for my ulcerative colitis 2 years ago I was told that I had a 6cm intra-renal kidney stone. Could this be the cause of my pain? I've heard that kidney stones are incredibly painful, and this is definitely not an extreme pain. With my ulcerative colitis, I am used to abdominal pain including frequent left sided pain, but it is never in the kidney area of the back. I've previously had cysts on my ovary as well and that resembled the pelvic pain I have that been intermittent. I'm not sure if I have 2 separate problems here? I saw my PCP re: the pelvic pain. The kidney are pain has just started in the last 3 days. Should I be making another appt to address this? What would cause a pelvic infection? I'm married for 15 years and confident that my husband and I are monogamous. thanks!
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 31 minutes later
Hi, Good to hear from you again.

You are right that kidney stones are very painful, but the severity of pain depends upon the size and location of stone. When stones are big and they get stuck in the urine tube they cause more pain and when small stones are there and in kidneys they may cause less pain. This means the kidney stone seen in last CT scan may be the reason for pain.

It is better that you see your pcp again for this and get your self examined. You may be advised some other investigations like urine examination, blood counts etc.

The reason for pelvic infection could be any; it might spread from urinary tract, not necessarily transmitted sexually.

Talk to your pcp again, after examination and ultrasound report we have will some more idea.

In mean time please follow the advice given earlier.