Recurring painful pustules on scalp. Taken Novaclox and Minoj. Can you suggest a long-term cure?

i am suffering from recurring painful pustules on my scalp..and chest hairy part. i have taken ampilox, novaclox, R-Cin 600, ceftum. cure is always temporary. Novaclox LB500 seems to be curing..also taking Minoj100 OD..but they reappear after the drug is stopped..can u suggest long term cure...this is very old problem...may be 25/30 years old. also have taken sterioids like wysolene, omnacortil for short term course. Please help. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details to understand the problem better. So please do not mind in answering the following questions:

1-Are these pustules on hairy parts or is it present on other parts of your body?
2-Is there any loss of hairs of scalp as this has been a chronic problem?
3-Is there any itching or any other associated symptoms?
4-Have you under gone any test especially blood culture to find the organism?
5-Do you have dandruff or any other type of skin affection?
6-As you have written your sugar is borderline; are you diagnosed to have diabetes?
7-What was your occupation and right now what do you do?

Recurring painful pustules in scalp and chest is a sort of infection most likely such infections are caused by staphylococcus bacteria. Other bacterial infections, fungus and even parasite can cause such infections. Once treated, there could be other factors including the possibility of incomplete treatment that might be causing the condition to recur.

Please write back with the details so that I may understand the condition better and be able to help you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Take care and Regards
Follow-up: Recurring painful pustules on scalp. Taken Novaclox and Minoj. Can you suggest a long-term cure? 3 days later
1) They are only on scalp and chest.
2) There is no loss of hair.
3) Yes i get lot of itching and pain
4) Had undergone culture test for the pus which showed staphylococcus bacteria
5) No there is no dandruff or any other skin problem.
6) sugar is under control with exercise, no i havn't been diagonosed with diabetes
7) I am into office job sitting under airconditioned atmosphere from the beginning till present.

awaiting your reply please. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later
Thanks for providing details.
Recurrent infection occur when the infection is treated but still the focus remains and are difficult to treat.
There is a possibility that the organism develops resistance as staphylococcus is known to get resistant to antibiotic.
Since you had undergone culture test and the organism was located I guess sensitivity test was also done to find the indicated antibiotics.
If a need arises you may repeat the culture and sensitivity test.
Normally Rifampicim (like you had taken R-cin 600) is best to be taken immediately after the initial course of antibiotic is completed.
I would suggest you to consult your Dermatologist(skin specialist) and get started with the most sensitive indicated antibiotic for the recent infection.
Once the recent crop of boil subsides discuss with your skin specialist regarding starting of Rifampicin and the proper course to be taken(as you may need it a bit longer than usual).
1-Along with the treatment maintain regular scalp and whole body hygiene.
2-I would also suggest you to disinfect all your garments with disinfectant like Dettol can be used (and even by putting them in boiling water and if needed).
3-Keep a watch on your sugar levels regularly.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
Please accept this answer in case you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Recurring painful pustules on scalp. Taken Novaclox and Minoj. Can you suggest a long-term cure? 18 hours later
Thanks a lot Doctor Shainaz for your suggestions.I will definitely follow them up. Thnks once again.
regards, XXXXXXX

Thanks for your appreciation.

You are welcome to ask any further query.

Your well being is our success.