Recurring low grade fever, stomach ache, nausea. Could it be virus?

General Surgeon
I am a 50 year old female; 5'4"; 130#; overall good health. I exercise daily (walking - 3 miles/day). I have never smoked or used any recreational drugs.

I have had a recurring low grade fever (99.1 - 100.1) and stomach ache and nausea (vomiting about 5 times/week) for the past 8 weeks with the exception of a 3-week period when I broke my shoulder and was taking round-the-clock painkillers. Nausea is worse late at night and early morning. My appetite is relatively normal; No other symptoms.

Is there a virus that could be causing these symptoms?

Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Stomach infection caused by virus is possible, however usually such infection lasts few days and after that time symptoms go away.

Stomach ache, vomiting, low grade fever can be caused by peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or even stomach cancer. That is why you should not neglect your symptoms.

Peptic ulcer usually gives the pain 1-2 hours after a meal. Nausea and vomiting can be present. It is more possible if you take pain killers regularly.

Stomach inflammation can be caused by increased stomach acid secretion or Helicobacter Pylori infection. Symptoms are usually similar to peptic ulcer.
The main problem in such case is that also stomach cancer can give exactly the same symptoms.

If your pain is located more in the upper right area and radiates to the back, gallstones or gallbladder inflammation should be also considered.

I suggest you to do not wait anymore and visit your doctor. Blood work, abdominal ultrasound should be done at first. Next step should be gastroscopy.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.