Recurring kidney stones. Taking lacilactone and nodule syrup. Diet and permanent cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had kidney stome of 1.7 cm in left kidney and was operated upon from a premier hospital in bangalore with PCNL at operation at back to remove to stone completely. Within 3 months of operation again there is a kidney stone 5 mm at the same place in left kidney. I eat fish and chicken only 2 days in a month and eat out only once in 2 days in a month.
What is the reason for recurring kidney stone ? Do i need to do ESWL now or what is the best course of action ? I do not eat spicy food but mainly bolied vegetables and papaya everyday. I do not wish to be operated again. Please advice on course of action. I took lacilactone tablet daily for 4 weeks and nocule syrup daily for 4 weeks on advice to doctor to try to flush out the stone but this was not successful.
Please let me know if any particular diet can cause recurring kidney stone. I do not drink alochol or even tea /coffee anytime.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Recurrence of renal stones is a common problem. It is mainly dependent on diet and genetics. Doing ESWL (Kidney stones are of four types: calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, uric acid stones or cystine stones.

Potassium citrate is used for the treatment of stones. I would suggest you to get an evaluation done from a urologist to determine the type of stone.

Please drink lots of water for it does facilitate at least in preventing the formation of new stones. Drinking lots of water helps to flush away the substances that form stones in the kidneys. Also indulge in exercises like skipping and trampolining which might help in flushing out the small stones.

Also limit your coffee, tea, and cola to a minimum and depending on the type of stone, get a diet chart prescribed. If you have a uric acid stone, you should eat less meat and if they are calcium oxalate you may need to limit foods that are high in oxalate. These foods include rhubarb, beets, spinach, and chocolate.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Recurring kidney stones. Taking lacilactone and nodule syrup. Diet and permanent cure? 59 minutes later
Hi Dr Praveen;
Thanks for your valuable answer.
My biggest concern is that the PCNL operation was done 4 months back and the stone was not kept by me and neither advised by the doctor to go for tests on this stone to determine the type of this. When i had asked him on this after recurrence of the stone he mentioned the recurrence was not speculated hence he didnt ask to retain the stone for analysis.
On this cirsunstance he asked me to take lacilactone and nucole syrup which is the source of potassium citrate. This has not flushed out the stone which is 5 mm in size.
As i had mentioned i dont take coffee, tea ; cola at all after i was operated Neither did i take rhubarb, beets, spinach, chocolate or red meat as was pescribed by the dietician before my release from hospital. Still the stone recurred.
In this circumstance i am totally perplexed about what
1) what had caused the stone
2) what should be the next course of action i need to take? Can i leave the stone as it is and go on drinking 5 litres of water hoping for this to be flushed out or should i take any alternative medicines. I dont want to be operated again within 4 months of operation unless this is the last resort i need to take.

Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The cause of recurrence could be metabolic abnormality, infection, urinary tract stasis, low fluid intake or idiopathic.
You need to have biochemical investigations and microscopic examination of urine under polarised light to find out the type of stones you are having. According to the type of stone, metabolic abnormalities need to be ruled out.
If there is no pain or acute symptoms then for a small calculus of 5mm, you can wait for sometime for spontaneous expulsion while continuing fluid intake of 5 litres per day and potassium citrate after consulting with your urologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.