Recurring headaches, high blood pressure, in a high stress job. Causes and treatment for headaches?

My husband is 56 and having recurrent headaches. He has started a headache and I took his BP with a wrist machine and it was 149/110. I then took it using a larger, plugged in machine with the arm band, and it too said his bp was 149/110. Is this an emergency or should he just see a doctor next week? He is not on any stress job.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Normal blood pressure usually rests at 120/80mmHg, but your husband's blood pressure is 149/110mmHg. Before coming to any conclusions it is advisable to note a few points first.

Blood pressure needs to be measured over a bare arm after the person is at rest for atleast 5 minutes in sitting position with feet on the floor. No stimulant like smoking, alcohol, caffeine, colas, etc. has been consumed since 30 minutes as well. Also the Blood pressure measurement needs to be repeated a few times during the day to confirm validity of the reading.

Since he has a family history of heart disease, there could be increased risk of Hypertension. His headache could also be due to his high blood pressure.

Try to avoid staying up nights, use good lighting at work, try to reduce stress by taking frequent breaks at work, get 6-8 hours of sleep daily, do Yoga, Pranayam for stress relief as well. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes.

If the blood pressure is not controlled by the diet and exercise modification for a few weeks, you may need anti-hypertensive drugs, if not recommended by your Doctor immediately. Half the battle involves diet and exercise modification which will be of great benefit in your case. You may need to get a few investigations by your Doctor to substantiate the cause and management of your condition like an Electrocardiogram (ECG), Kidney function tests, an Eye examination as well. Other investigations which may be ordered depend on the positive findings found on clinical examination at the discretion of your physician.
This does not need an emergency visit to your doctor. You can follow the life style modifications and plan your visit next week.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.