Recurring gastritis, pain radiating to chest, neck, forehead. Taken prilosec. Any suggestion?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I suffer from recurring gastritis due, most likely to an autoimmune condition, which they're going to investigate further at the Cleveland Clinic in XXXXXXX I'm so uncomfortable now with pain radiating up my chest and into my neck and forehead, sort of the beginning of a migraine. I've taken my prilosec everyday as prescribed and lately have taken pepto and maalox to try and help. I've been going to the bathroom regularly and have been eating blandly but there is nothing that usually helps except time. Any suggestions for me? I've wasted my weekend away because I'm so uncomfortable I haven't done anything! :(
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in

Do not stamp any condition as autoimmune unless proved

This is going to increase your stress levels and worsen the IBS that you have rightly judged

My suggestion therefore is :
Manage stress levels
Avoid Spicy, fried and fermented meals
Take small frequent meals
Take Prilosec Twice a day
You may continue Maalox and if need be pepto
But add a good probiotic

My last word is a word of reassurance
Hope this helps
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Recurring gastritis, pain radiating to chest, neck, forehead. Taken prilosec. Any suggestion? 10 minutes later
Yes, I'm not sure if it is autoimmune but will find out this summer. In the meantime, besides taking Prilosec twice a day, is there anything to do for the pain? I've tried advil with no luck but the shooting pain up into my neck has kept me home, napping in hopes to wake in less discomfort. It hasn't helped. I teach school so I'm hoping for some relief before tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 minutes later

Thanks for your followup

Your approach appears positive and I am sure you will overcome this situation and resume duties tomorrow

Advil is known to cause gastric irritation so rather avoid it

A better analgesic will be Tramadazole and it the pains are of nervous origin give a try to pregabalin and/or methylcobalamine

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a speedy recovery