Recurring episodes of dark brown urine. History of kidney stones. Steps to overcome this?

I have had two episodes of dark brown urine in two weeks. My right kidney does hurt, but it always does. It may hurt a little more than normal. I do have a history of kidney stones, but it has been years. I take medication for it. I also have like to try to overcome this on my own.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 47 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

There are a number of factors that can cause dark urine and majority of them are diseases. They include; acute cystitis, acute tubular necrosis, endocarditis, renal cell carcinoma and hepatitis. Some dyes that are normally used in food colour can also change the urine and so can a variety of drugs that people take.

Dark brown urine along with pain in the right kidney area points towards the possible diagnosis of stone in kidney/ureteric area.

Although few other conditions like the urinary tract infections, inflammatory pathology of the kidneys etc. can cause this.

I think you need to go for the urine complete examination to rule out the infection, and if it is clear you may need to go for a ultrasound of the renal and ureteric area to find out the possible cause , i.e stone or inflammation of the kidneys.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.