Recurring cough, throat infection, fever, sinus, no phlegm.

Dear Doctor,
Request your advice to tackle with the recurring cough issues like throat infection/fever, Sinus issues, Cough etc.
Also these days i have a dry coughing habit, though there are no cough.
my age is 33 years and hight 182 CM Weight 65.5 Kg.
Kindly advice

Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Chronic cough is usually a symptom of an underlying condition. Some common causes of chronic cough include:
•     Asthma
•     Allergic rhinitis
•     Sinusitis
•     Gastroesophageal reflux disease: There is a backward flow of stomach acid and other contents into the esophagus. This leads to an activation of certain reflexes which lead to spasm of the airways that can cause shortness of breath and coughing.
•     Cigarette smoking.

I would suggest that you consult your general practitioner who can advise certain tests like a chest Xray sputum examination, blood tests like TLC(total leukocyte count),IgE (immunoglobulin E) and ESR(erythrocyte sedimentation rate) .and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Meanwhile you can follow the following remedies:
1.     Stay hydrated. Fluids can help reduce the dryness of the airway and help symptoms
2.     Gargling with hot saltwater can help cleanse the throat.
3.     Elevate your head with pillows at night to ease a chronic dry cough.
4.     Do not smoke or use tobacco product.
5.     Avoid inhaling irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
6.     Ginger and balsam (tulsi) used in tea, also reduces dry cough.
7.     Avoid hot and spicy foods

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health and a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Recurring cough, throat infection, fever, sinus, no phlegm. 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor.

I just want to emphazise that i do not have cronic cough. Additionally in the past i have checked Blood test and Xray which was also normal.

current issue is i am falling sick due to throat infection and cold very oftem. also the reason to write this is that i am having constant dry coughing towards evening.
Thanks and Regards,

Answered by Dr. Radhika 16 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

You are frequently falling sick due to throat infection and cold often. The reason for this is most probably low immunity. It is good to hear that your reports are normal.

I suggest you XXXXXXX an Immunologist in your area for confirming this. This will help you tackle the cause. There are patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
Other ways to improve immunity are taking food XXXXXXX in Vitamin C and doing exercises daily. Other foods are Oysters, Crab XXXXXXX Beans, brown rice, egg yolks, cottage cheese, chicken, sunflower seeds, garlic, lamb, carrot, garlic, fish. Cod liver oil and zinc capsules like Zincovit are also good and be taken once a day.

For the dry cough, you should follow the remedies I have mentioned in the previous mail. You can also use Medications specifically made for dry cough under prescription from a doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.