Recurring chest pain and breathing problems post accident. CT scan, X-ray report normal. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was in a car accident a year and a half ago. After I had a lot of chest pains and breathing problems. I had xrays, ct scan, and heart monitor done. Everything came back fine. After a few months the pain went away. But if i move, twist, or lift something a certain way the pain comes back and the breathing restriction. The past few weeks it has been almost non stop. What could it be?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a muscular injury of the chest wall which has not yet healed properly. When you move in a certain way, it puts stress on the injured muscle causing pain and breathing restriction. If adequate rest and immobilization are not done after the injury sometimes these muscle injuries do take a long time to heal.
Presently you need to give rest to the muscle involved by avoiding the movement which causes pain. Avoid sleeping on the side of injury.
Do hot fomentation at least twice daily.
If the pain is persistent you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. Adding anti oxidant supplements like Vitamin E will also help you.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.