Recurring back ache. Normal x-ray and blood test. Is this due to a slip disc? Do I need an MRI?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I have recurring back ache since the last 6 weeks. It became so bad that I was not able to move much from my home for a week. I got X Rays done and a lot of blood tests too, but every single thing was normal. My weight is 74 kgs and my height is 157 cm. The back ache has improved a bit, though when I am sitting for continuously long periods of time, it pops back again. I get relief by walking around. Standing does not make much difference. I am able to bend down and touch my toes effortlessly.
My question is: Is there any chance of this being a slip disc and do I need to get an MRI done to vet the same?
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Recurrent back ache specially experienced on sitting may be related to a slipped disc or other myofascial syndromes. It could be due to Nerve root syndromes that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration or Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain like myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.

Getting an MRI of the spine will help in proper diagnosis and an early management.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.