Recurring UTI after having sex, urine culture showed E.coli. Is there a permanent cure?

I am 30F, I am suffering from Recurring UTI since last one Year. I got UTI after my first Sexual intercourse and since than it reoccur every time I do sex. I want to know is there any permanent cure to this problem. I have visited several doctors for this purpose. Last time I had urine culture, It is diagnosed that my problem is with e.choli. Is this a STI, Do my partner also need to be tested. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 44 minutes later
Recurrent UTI is a common problem in women who are sexually active.The cause basically happens to be infection due to inadequate hygiene during or after sexual intercourse.The bacteria causing this is called E.coli.Its not a sti. But can be transmitted from sexual partners if poor hygiene is maintained during or after intercourse.You need to make sure that your partner and you both are maintaining good cleanliness esp after sex. Also recurrent infections are more common in diabetics so make sure you are tested. Drink plenty of water and you can try TRACFREE which is a medicine that helps in recurrent utis. In case you dont get any relief you should go for a cystoscopy to check if there is any damage to the bladder wall.