Recurrent viral illnesses, pain in neck, groin, chest, fatigue, pain, burning sensation in skin, swelling, redness, breast pain

Hi, I have had recurrent viral illnesses for about 4 months and the most recent one (about 3 weeks ago) seemed to cause a lot of pain in my neck, groin and chest as well as fatigue/general acheyness, and none of these symptoms have completely gone away. However, yesterday I also developed an unpleasant burning sensation in the skin of my left upper-arm, behind the tricep area which shows no outer signs such as redness or swelling. Within four hours, this had become a pronounced tenderness/aching within the arm which had spread down the arm and the same feeling has begun under the armpit and the left side of my chest/breast. I don't know if this is related or not. The burning sensation/tenderness is not going away and is now starting to worry me. I would appreciate your opinion as I hate visiting the GP, but will do so if you think it is necessary. I am a 40 year old woman, non smoker/drinker with a relatively healthy diet (but had a very unhealthy lifestyle using drink & drugs until about 10 years ago). I am 5ft 3 and weigh about 10 stone. I have scarring on my lungs from previous pneumonias and have suffered from severe cyclical breast pain for about 5 years. Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Generalized body aches are an integral component of generalized viral illnesses which has extended for a comparatively longer period in your case. May be this the cumulative effect of repeated illnesses or low immunity leading to repeated viral and bacterial infection.

The burning sensations and the tenderness in the left arm and on the left side of the breast seems to be neural in origin. Such symptoms usually result from a nerve compression or due to Vitamin B deficiency. It would be better to get examined by your GP and treatment accordingly. Few investigations like Routine Blood counts, Nerve function tests, Vit. B levels might be asked.

Do you have any pain in the neck associated with it? If yes, then you need to rule out any nerve compression and would require X XXXXXXX and MRI of the neck or as advised by your GP.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Avoid using a pillow or can opt for cervical pillow and use a firm bed for sleeping.
2. Oral supplements of Methylcobalamin might also help you.
3. Consume lots of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits.
4. Drink lots of fluids like water and fruit juices.
5. Hot fomentation might also help you in relieving pain.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.