Ask a Urologist   »  

Recurrent urinary tract infection, temporary cure after taking good amount of fluids. Cause & suggestion for good medications?

I have been suffering from the infection in the urinary tract from the last 5-6 days. It often happens to me and it gets cured in a day or two if I take ample fluids/water. But this time the problem persisted for a longer duration. I overcame it temporarily by talking some extra fluids but then again it appeared. I have no relief what so ever I do. I have the strong urge to urinate frequently and I feel a burning sensation while urinating. Can you please suggest some god medications and tell me why is this happening and why is it not getting cured despite taking good amount of fluids.

appreciate your early response

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

Recurring urinary tract in a young woman is usually not any cause for concern. But when this is happening to a young man it rings alarm bells. This should not be happening and you need to get an accurate diagnosis.

You need to make sure that your kidneys are alright and that you do not have any source of infection higher up you urinary system system. This may involve your seeing a Urologist, having an IVP and urine cultures etc until you have been thoroughly checked out.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Recurrent urinary tract infection, temporary cure after taking good amount of fluids. Cause & suggestion for good medications? 7 hours later
Thanks Doctor, I see this as a frequent happen problem happening to me. I can confirm this problem is mostly in the lower urinary tract, but I appreciate your advice of doing tests and I am going to do it in some time, given that I am very busy these days with project deliveries. In the meantime can you recommend some antibiotics to kill the pain.

Thanks Again.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 4 hours later
Hi there.
Thank you for writing back.

Just taking any old antibiotic at this stage would not be good practise for the following reasons:
(1) You do not know the actual source of this infection so as such you do not have a diagnosis.
(2) You do not know what the bug is nor to what antibiotic it might be sensitive to.
(3) Taking the wrong antibiotics ( the antibiotics to which these bugs are not sensitive) will only encourage bacterial resistance.
With respect, this is too serious and has to take precedence over project deliveries. I am trying not to be alarmist here but this is your health and your life that we are talking about. There can hardly be anything more important than that, now can there be?

Good luck.

Dr Andrew Rynne.