Recurrent shoulder dislocation. What is the cause and how to prevent this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Dear Doctor,
Good morning.
I am XXXXXX here. Yesterday night I fell from coat and left shoulder got dislocated and I corrected myself. This is happening third time to left shoulder. Fisrt time it happened about 4 years back & it was minor. I consulted a doctor.
Second time it happened is 3 months back and I only corrected it. I went to doctor at BGS Global hospital Vijayanagar Bangalore. This doctor asked me to approach a physiotherapist and also told that if this happens next time I should undergo a sergery. I did and last three months I am doing shoulder strengthening excises. But it happened again yesterday night.
I would like to know why it is happening again & agian & what precautions should I take to prevent this?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 hours later
Recurrent shoulder dislocation usually happens due to an instability in the shoulder joint. Loose ligaments, decreased strength of shoulder muscle and rounding of glenoid cavity are the common reasons of such occurrences.
An MRI scan of the shoulder joint will help in detecting any pathology. The initial treatment consists of pain killers to reduce the pain and strengthening of the shoulder muscles by isometric exercises. Intensive physiotherapy program is begun to strengthen the shoulder muscles.
Since the physiotherapy has not been helpful, you need an MRI for definitive diagnosis. Surgical treatment may be required. You can discuss these options with your orthopedician and start with the option best suitable for you.
You may start with painkillers, hot fomentation for symptomatic relief. Also, avoid lifting heavy weights or standing on your hands for a while as it will put undue pressure on your shoulder causing further damage.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.