Recurrent sebacous cyst. No fever. Using warm moist heat. What to do?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Recurrent sebacous cyst. Heat usually softens - on heat for 5 days draining for 4 but slowly. Red area not getting larger no fever using warm moist heat reg
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 30 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There is a risk that the sebaceous cyst becomes infected. The signs to watch for would be pain and a spreading of the redness with continued oozing of pus. A fever would be a late sign.
I suggest you leave it over the next couple of days. Cover it with a dry dressing. If the redness does not reduce over this time and if the pus continues then a visit to your doctor would be my advice. You may need antibiotics to clear it up.
I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger