Recurrent orchitis after Vasectomy, Prostatitis. Tried antibiotics. Any home remedy?

Urologist
Question
I have suffered from Epidermal Orchitis for about 6 years now but it will not go away (I have had it since having a vasectomy which did not go to plan it seems). I even developed Prostatitis this year which may have been due to having Orchitis in the first place? My urolologist gave me Ibruprofen to get rid of the swelling and pain (I told him about 2 months ago that I thought that it had gone which was probably due to me being on 6 weeks of antibiotics over the summer months when I look back to get rid of the Prostatis and he effectively discharged me saying that the Orchitis may go away). Are there any known home remedy cures that could work? Should I exercise/not exercise? I do eat a good diet - best ever) but still it lingers on. Would it help if I drank lots of water each day? Even after sex I see an improvement for the whole day - why is this? I am at my wits end with it.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Dear,

Thank you for posting your query.

Recurrent orchitis is possible after vasectomy and as part of treatment you should wear tight underwear and keep your testis elevated.

Your prostatitis has nothing to do with orchitis and has happened by itself. One usually needs to be on alpha blockers, antibiotics and analgesics to treat prostatitis. However, prostatitis has tendency to recur.

Having frequent intercourse or masturbation does give relief in lot of patients and is considered one of the treatment modalities. You should sit in lukewarm water every day for 15 minutes. This increases the blood flow to prostate and improves prostatitis. You may continue exercising; it helps and causes no harm. Also, drinking a lot of water is definitely good; please drink around 10 to 12 glasses of water in a day.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Recurrent orchitis after Vasectomy, Prostatitis. Tried antibiotics. Any home remedy? 7 hours later
Thanks for your reply. You mentioned about sitting in lukewarm water but I think the prostatitis has now gone away thankfully. So that it does not return should I still eliminate all caffeine, chocolate, spicy food and alcohol from my diet? This is quite an ask as I enjoy all of them! Does Orchitis increase the risk of it returning?

I have read that for Orchitis to take "several ice cubes and wrap using a piece of cloth of towel and apply to the scrotum to help soothe the inflammation, thereby aiding proper healing and too be done several times a day to get rid of excessive heat. Would you agree with this for Orchitis? I am thinking of taking iron supplements for the Orchitis - would you too recommend this and any other supplements? Because I think that because I have bacterial Orchitis are there certain foods that could help get rid of the infection? Am I likely to have Orchitis until my dying days?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It is good to hear that you are cured of prostatitis at this point of time and hence, you don't need to sit in lukewarm water. Stopping or eating all the above mentioned things has no relation with your having or not having prostatitis and hence continue enjoying your life. orchitis can certainly be a risk factor for prostatitis.

Using ice cubes can be counterproductive and don't use it on inflamed testis. Iron supplements don't decrease the incidence of orchitis. The only remedial measure you can take is to keep your testis elevated and have good sexual life.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health

Follow-up: Recurrent orchitis after Vasectomy, Prostatitis. Tried antibiotics. Any home remedy? 3 days later
Hi, I have taken onboard your previous advice thanks. Is it worthwhile going back to my doctor to try and get a different lot of antibiotics for my Orchitis as the ones used in the past clearly did not work fully. Is there a test that can be done to determine exactly which bacteria is the cause of the problem so that a better set of antibiotics could be better prescribed?

Does having Orchitis on an ongoing basis mean that my immune system is compromised as my immune system is trying to beat off this regular infection? The reason that I ask is that I believe that I may be more susceptible to other illnesses/diseases and complications otherwise?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later
Dear,

Thanks for writing back.

The set of antibiotics have to be decided by your urine c/s. However, if your orchitis keeps on happening again and again then you should get yourself started on alpha blockers under the care of urologist and although rare, keep the possibility of tubercular orchitis in mind.

Having recurrent orchitis in no way indicates that you have weak immune system. Infact the very fact that you get cured with appropriate medications indicates that you have competent immune system.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if you do not have any more queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Recurrent orchitis after Vasectomy, Prostatitis. Tried antibiotics. Any home remedy? 58 days later
Hi, thanks for diagnosing that I have epidermal orchitis. However for the past 3 days I have noticed that the tube at the top of my left testicle (tube I think) has become very swollen and enlarged. Could this be "tubercular orchitis" that you mentioned earlier? I have taken ibruprofen (anti-inflammatories) to reduce the swelling which seems to work and put a cold compress on which between them seems to have done the trick. I am worried that I may have something more serious wrong with me? My urologist said that the lump before was a thickening of the vessel if that helps? Please advise whether I should go to see a doctor or not. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 13 minutes later
Dear,

Since you are having some new development you should certainly see your doctor. And also since you are having this problem again and again it shall be worthwhile to drop the hint of tubercular orchitis/ epididymitis to your doctor and get investigated for the same.

Follow-up: Recurrent orchitis after Vasectomy, Prostatitis. Tried antibiotics. Any home remedy? 13 hours later
Okay I will take your advice and see my doctor to be hopefully referred to a urologist (the wait here is about 2-3 months). I am hoping that, if I have tubercular orchitis that this condition is not too serious and that I should be okay to wait this long? Should I be taking any medication in the meantime?

I think I will also do as you suggested previously that "...you should get yourself started on alpha blockers under the care of urologist and although rare, keep the possibility of tubercular orchitis in mind". Do you know what the success rate/possible side effects of this treatment is by any chance as I would like to get rid of the orchitis once and for all?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I would suggest that you consult your primary care physician as soon as possible and get yourself started on tamusolsin ( which is available as Flomax). This drug is an alpha blocker (which means it blocks a type of alpha receptors of norepinephrine in the body). Alpha blockers markedly reduce the incidence of orchitis and lot of patients don't need any other treatment other than being on alpha blockers. Flomax is very safe drug and has minimal side effects.
You would also need a course of antibiotics (as decided by your urine culture and sensitivity report). After that, we can assess how you are doing. If orchitis reappears, it is only then you need to be investigated for tubercular orchitis.
You can wait for your urologist’s appointment but please get yourself started on the above therapy in consultation with your general physician.
I hope I have answered your query.
Regards.